Watermelon & Tomato Salad Appetizer
Summer is almost here! And that means picnics, pool parties and backyard happy hours. That also means it’s time to beef up your appetizer repertoire. While I’m a sucker for the usual caprese on a toothpick I wanted to find a way to make one of my all time favorite salads bite size. I give you, appetizer style Watermelon & Tomato Salad! I fell in love with watermelon salad a couple years ago when it was ordered in a group setting - never something I would’ve tried on my own. WOW! The combo of the sweet watermelon and tomato topped with a hint of goat cheese is one perfect summer dish. And now shareable!
- 1 watermelon
- 1 log of goat cheese
- 2 cucumbers
- 2 large tomatoes
- 1 bunch of mint
- salt to taste
- Slice watermelon into ½” thick slices like you would a loaf of bread, discarding the end.
- Starting from the center of each slice and working out to the white area, use a 1” cookie cutter to cut watermelon circles. Trim bottoms if needed to make all circles about the same height and set aside.
- Set your mandolin on the ⅛” straight edge setting. Carefully slice cucumber lengthwise - discarding the first slice to eliminate the skin. Repeat until both cucumbers are sliced.
- Place cucumber slices on paper towels and pat with another paper towel. Attempting to take as much moisture out of them as possible.
- Using a knife, spread a thin layer of goat cheese on each slice of cucumber as if you were buttering a slice of bread. The goat cheese will act as the glue when applying cucumbers on watermelon in next step.
- Assemble base of your appetizer by rolling the cucumber slice, goat cheese side in, around watermelon circle until it just covers beginning end (I cut my cucumber slices in half before applying to watermelon). The watermelon will not reach the top of the cucumber, leaving space for the tomato relish.
- To make tomato relish, roughly slice tomatoes and put into a small blender with bunch of mint and dash of salt. Blend until tomatoes are about pico de gallo size - careful not to make tomato juice
- With a small spoon, top each piece with desired amount of tomato relish.
- Serve immediately or keep refrigerated until ready to serve.